Sunday, July 5, 2009

The birth day!

May 18th, we arrived at the hospital at 7:00 am for our induction! I hadn't slept the night before and hadn't had anything to eat or drink since midnight the night before. Anyone who spent time with me during my pregnancy knew that I couldn't get enough water to drink. I drank water constantly and had to drink several cups throughout the night just to stay hydrated, so by the time we arrived at the hospital, I felt like I may die of thirst and was exhausted! Here I am getting ready to get into bed!
They did one last ultrasound to confirm that both girls were still head down and that we could proceed with a vaginal delivery. Thankfully, they both had stayed head down since 34 weeks, so we were in luck! I was still 2 cm dilated (had been since 34 weeks), but was having some regular contractions that I couldn't feel. They started the pitocin at around 8 am to get contractions stonger and more regular. Heidi came to visit and my mom and dad were in route from CT! I was pretty comfortable for several hours and things were even a little boring!

At around 11, I got my epidural, which was required incase I had to have an emergency C-section. I felt great afterwards and got in a short nap! Things were progressing rather slowly, but moving along. Sometime in later afternoon or early evening, some intense pain began to set it. Baby A's position was causing some horrible back labor and it couldn't be controlled with the epidural. Despite several redoses, I was in awful pain and physically exhausted. I believe at one point I begged for someone to get them out and swore I would never do this again! At around midnight, we finally made it to 10 cm and we were told to get ready to head to the OR. Again, we had to deliver in the OR incase of an emergency C-section. It was funny to watch Brian get suited up in his sterile suit!

At 1:04 am on May 19th, after 18 long hours of labor, Sadie Rebekah was born! She was 6 lbs 13 oz and 19 inches long! I was so relieved she was out and so happy that she was big and healthy, but not looking forward to having to go through this one more time before the night was over!

To my surprise, it only took another 4 minutes before Mary Catherine "Macy" arrived! She was 6 lbs 11 oz and 20 inches long and they were able to put her on my chest right away (they couldn't do that with Sadie, since I was preparing to deliver again)! It was so wonderful to see her and touch her!

Brian was in charge of choosing which baby had each name, so he spent his time over with the girls choosing who was who! Macy is named after Brian's grandmother Mary Kay (Mary Catherine) and Sadie Rebekah is named after both of my grandmothers. Ironically, Sadie looks like me and Macy like Brian!

We soon headed to recovery and to meet the family! Brian went out to annouce the girls arrival and then came back to spend some time with us girls before everyone came in to visit. It was around 3 am before everyone came into visit, but well worth the wait! Yes, I do have a beer in my hand in the second picture. Brian opened a celebratory can and after nine months of not drinking I decided to have a sip!

Everyone was thrilled to meet the girls, especially their grandma's. Brian was so excited about his babies and couldn't get enough of holding them! We had a great hospital stay and didn't want to leave, but on Thursday, the 21st, we headed home to start our lives as a family of four!

No comments:

Post a Comment